Ventolin Inhaler (Salbutamol)
Ventolin is the “gold standard” among drugs for the relief of asthma attacks. The drug is made in the form of a metered aerosol for inhalation. The main active ingredient is salbutamol.
|$36.30 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$28.27 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$25.60 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$24.26 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$23.46 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$22.92 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$22.54 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$22.25 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$22.03 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|$21.85 per inhaler||Buy Now|
Table of Contents
- What is it used for?
- How to use?
- How often can you use it?
- How long does it last?
- Ventolin inhaler for kids
- Side effects
- Ventolin inhaler and alcohol
- How to clean it?
Ventolin is used to relieve and prevent attacks of bronchospasm, as well as a component in the complex therapy of bronchial asthma and asthmatic status. With the preventive purpose, the medication is used before direct contact of the patient with the allergen or before significant physical loads. The remedy is intended for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which is associated with reversible bronchial obstruction.
The medication is intended for inhalation.
- Remove the cap from the mouthpiece by slightly squeezing the cap from the sides;
- Inspect the mouthpiece inside and out to make sure it is clean;
- Shake the inhaler well;
- Hold the inhaler between the index finger and thumb in an upright position with the bottom facing up, while the thumb should be placed on the base under the mouthpiece;
- Make a slow deep breath, clasp the mouthpiece with your lips without squeezing it with your teeth;
- While taking as much as possible a deep breath through the mouth, simultaneously press the upper part of the inhaler to release a single inhalation dose of salbutamol;
- Hold your breath for a few seconds, remove the mouthpiece from your mouth, then exhale slowly;
- To receive the second dose, hold the inhaler in a vertical position, wait about 30 seconds and then repeat steps 3-7;
- Close the mouthpiece tightly with a protective cap.
Important! Performing stages 5, 6 and 7, do not rush. Inhale as slowly as possible, immediately before pressing the inhaler valve. It is recommended to practice in front of a mirror the first few times. If you see a “fog” coming from the top of the inhaler or from the corners of your mouth, then you should start all over again from stage 3.
If your doctor has given you other instructions for using the inhaler, you must strictly follow them. Contact your doctor if you have difficulty using an inhaler.
It is safe to use these Ventolin 4-6 times per day. If you have an asthma attack, you can use the inhaler as often as every 30-60 minutes for 2-3 hours without the risk of serious negative reactions.
Ventolin starts to work within minutes and lasts 4 to 6 hours.
Many pediatricians actively prescribe this inhaler for children. Indications for use include:
- coughing of various origin;
- laryngitis (inflammation of the larynx);
- bronchitis (more with obstructive);
- an acute attack of bronchial asthma;
The medication is used not only to treat the underlying disease of the respiratory system but also to prevent it and prevent attacks in the case of bronchial asthma. Also, this drug effectively helps to cope with bronchial asthma, which does not respond to therapy with other bronchodilators.
Salbutamol for cough relief should not be used if the child is hypersensitive to the components of the drug. The age of a child under 2 years is a contraindication for the use of this medication.
Ventolin can cause the following side effects:
- mild tremor of the hands;
- motor agitation;
- vascular dilation;
- heart rhythm disturbances;
- allergic reactions;
- paradoxical bronchospasm.
Adult patients receive 100-200 mg if salbutamol per inhalation. For preventive purposes, the patient can receive 200 mcg 3 to 4 times per day. To prevent attacks of bronchospasm before physical exertion or contact with the allergen, the patient should receive 200 mcg 15 minutes before the intended exertion. To prevent bronchospasm, children aged 2 to 6 years should receive 1-2 mg, 6 to 12 years – 2 mg, 12 years and older – 2-4 mg medication. To prevent attacks of bronchial asthma, patients should receive 100-200 mcg three times a day.
Never increase the dose of salbutamol without consulting a doctor. High doses of the drug reduce blood pressure, increase heart rate, cause vomiting, muscle tremor and agitation. In severe cases, patients may develop convulsions and hallucinations and respiratory alkalosis.
Alcohol should be avoided during treatment with Ventolin. Alcohol is a provocateur of many diseases. Ethanol reduces the level of immunity, resulting in malfunctions in the liver and digestive organs. Excessive alcohol consumption not only leads to a recurrence of chronic diseases but also provokes new diseases. Ethanol cannot affect the state of bronchial edema directly but it can increase the likelihood of thrombosis. As a result, the modified and thinned blood vessels of an asthmatic do not allow to deliver the right amount of oxygen to the lungs. The oxygen starvation increases the risk of an attack. Asthma and alcohol are incompatible. It is impossible to calculate its safe dose. Each organism has a different reaction to alcohol.
The inhaler should be cleaned at least once a week.
- Remove the metal can from the plastic housing and remove the mouthpiece cover;
- Rinse the plastic body and mouthpiece cover under running warm water;
- Dry the plastic case and the mouthpiece cover completely both outside and inside. Do not overheat it;
- Place the metal can into the plastic case and put on the mouthpiece cover;
- Do not immerse the metal can in water.
Jessica: “Ventolin perfectly copes with seasonal allergies to ambrosia. I always have this inhaler in my bag. It also helps my son to cope with obstructive bronchitis. Relief comes literally after a couple of inhalations!”
Martha: “The doctor prescribed this medication to my child when he got pneumonia. Inhalation relieved swelling and spasm very quickly. I purchased the drug online and now use it in case of emergency.”
Calvin: “Excellent remedy! Relieves spasms and makes breathing easier. It is very effective with frequent colds (especially bronchitis). Every time I get sick, I use salbutamol.”
Thomas: “I really like the drug, it copes well with its main task. It makes breathing softer and relieves the attack of stenosis almost immediately. I recommend that you have this drug in your first aid kit.”
Caroline: “This medication is a perfect rescuer for those who suffer from bronchial asthma and those who have allergies to ambrosia. Previously, I used salbutamol but since it was already expired, I had to buy its equivalent – Ventolin. The drug removed the spasm instantly, breathing became easy and free. The drug is very effective but keep in mind that it has contraindications.”