Serevent is an effective bronchodilator with the active ingredient salmeterol.
|25mcg||1inhaler||$33.71||$33.71 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||2inhaler||$56.19||$28.09 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||3inhalers||$78.66||$26.22 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||4inhalers||$101.14||$25.28 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||5inhalers||$123.61||$24.72 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||6inhalers||$146.09||$24.35 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||7inhalers||$168.56||$24.08 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||8inhalers||$191.04||$23.88 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||9inhalers||$213.51||$23.72 per inhaler||Buy Now|
|25mcg||10inhalers||$235.99||$23.60 per inhaler||Buy Now|
Table of Contents
- Mechanism of action
- What is it used for?
- How to use it?
- How often do you use it?
- Side effects
Salmeterol causes long-term (up to 12 hours) enlargement of the bronchi in patients with reverse airway obstruction. Regular use of the drug provides a persistent improvement in the functioning of the lungs, reducing the severity of airway obstruction syndrome and nighttime seizures of bronchial asthma. Salmeterol is a potent and long-lasting inhibitor of mast cell release of mediators such as histamine, leukotrienes and prostaglandin D2. The substance suppresses early and late bronchial reactivity.
Indications for use include bronchial asthma, including the prevention of bronchospasm caused by exercise; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic obstructive bronchitis and pulmonary emphysema.
The drug is not indicated for emergency relief of asthma attacks.
Serevent is intended for use exclusively in the form of inhalation. The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor. The drug is administered by inhalation.
To administer the medication, you need to follow the steps given below:
- shake the inhalation spray;
- exhale the air from the lungs;
- insert an aerosol mouthpiece into your mouth, clasping it with lips on all sides;
- take a deep breath while pressing the bottom of the can;
- hold your breath for as long as possible.
Preventive therapy before bedtime improves the quality of sleep and reduces the number and intensity of asthma attacks.
The drug is used even if asthma attacks do not occur.
When Serevent is used to prevent heavy breathing during exercise, it is usually used 30 minutes before exercise, but not more often than once every 12 hours. If you are making inhalations twice a day on a regular basis, do not use an additional dose before exercising. The dose or frequency of aerosol should be increased only on the recommendation of a doctor.
- Immune system: hypersensitivity reactions – rash, anaphylactic reactions, including edema and angioedema, bronchospasm, anaphylactic shock;
- Metabolism: hyperglycemia, hypokalemia;
- Nervous system: tremor, headache.
These adverse events are usually short-term, their severity decreases with regular use of the drug. Tremor was usually a result of an overdose.
- Cardiovascular system: a heartbeat sensation. This undesirable phenomenon is often of short duration, its severity decreases with regular use of the drug; sometimes – tachycardia. Tachycardia occurs more often with the appointment of a dose in excess of 50 mcg 2 times a day; very rarely – cardiac arrhythmias, including atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia and extrasystoles. If paradoxical bronchospasm occurs, you should stop using a fast-acting inhaled bronchodilator immediately and consult a doctor;
- Respiratory system: irritation of the mucous membranes of the mouth or throat, paradoxical bronchospasm;
- Musculoskeletal system and connective tissue: muscle cramps, arthralgia;
- Gastrointestinal tract: changes in taste, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain.
The recommended dose for adults: 2 inhalations (2 x 25 mcg salmeterol) 2 times a day.
The recommended dose for the prevention of bronchospasm caused by exercise: inhalations (2 x 25 mcg salmeterol) 30-60 minutes before exercise.
The maximum dose (to achieve the effect with a more pronounced obstruction of the airways in patients with asthma): 4 inhalations (4 x 25 mcg salmeterol) 2 times a day.
The recommended dose for children over 4 years old: 2 inhalations (2 x 25 mcg salmeterol) 2 times a day.
Serevent is contraindicated in children up to 4 years; with hypersensitivity to salmeterol and other components of the drug.
The drug should be used with caution in thyrotoxicosis, arrhythmias, coronary heart disease (angina III-IV functional class), acute myocardial infarction, uncontrolled hypertension, hypoxia of various origins, pheochromocytoma, pregnancy, breastfeeding.
Emma: “The solution is very effective for managing bronchial asthma, inflammation of the upper and lower respiratory tract. Never noticed any side effects.”
Jacob: “Serevent removes bronchospasm. I have never experienced any problems over the course of several years of using this medicine. It always helped.”
Amelia: “I am an “experienced” asthmatic. I’ve been using this inhaler for a long time. This drug is very effective. It starts working literally in a couple of minutes. Inhalation is very convenient. You can use the inhaler anywhere. The main thing is to use it correctly, otherwise, the active substance does not reach the small bronchi.”
Isabella: “Salmeterol dilates the bronchi and helps the sputum to escape from the bronchi. This inhaler is the best choice for obstructive bronchitis. It’s a real savior for asthmatics.”